Saturday, June 25, 2011

Underarm Odor Remedies


 If you have any suggestions about improving  this blog



                           (INCOMPLETE)
    The underarms is the  part of the body that is the biggest issue for most of the people who visit my blog(as seen on the voting poll).So I'm going to tackle this issue by listing the certain remedies that I've heard and also used to prevent underarm odor. But before I get into the certain techniques you can use to stop your foul odors, we first have to understand why our armpits smell the way they do. Most people believe that sweating is the cause for our odor, but that's not true, sweat is only made up of water,  sodium chloride, and other trace minerals.
      This is not the cause of odor but the real cause of  our odor is from the apocrine glands that are located under our armpits. These glands secrete a oily substance that is made up of fatty substances, where the bacteria thrive and start to break down the fatty substances from the apocrine glands. Bacteria proliferate from the underarms because of the humid environment which is caused by the sweat and the lack of oxygen in  confined areas of your body.
      This is what causes you to smell, and the more  bacteria that  start's  to multiply the more robust your odor will become. What normal deodorants do is mask the odor with perfumes and  use chemicals to block the sweat ducts that are located  under your arms, thus preventing odor. This is pretty much effective to the average man, but these chemicals that are  present in everyday deodorants are harmful to your body. Aluminum, which is a common ingredient in most deodorants, has been linked to the formation of Alzheimer's disease(a type of dementia that causes problems with memory, thinking, and behavior) and other brain disorders. In addition, some of these products are ineffective to the people who sweat more than normal, they can  easily sweat out the deodorant  so it won't be able to benefit them.
      So if you are one of these people who have tried to countless deodorants and it did not have any success from the product then try these remedies and see if they can stop your chronic underarm odor.I also wouldn't mind if you would comment on the success or the failure of such underarm remedies.


Rubbing Alcohol:


Yes rubbing alcohol has the ability to reduce your odor, naturally alcohol has the ability to kill off bacteria when you treat wounds, cuts, and bruises. So it is quite obvious to know that  it can reduce the bacteria that is on your skin if you would take a cotton swab of it and apply it under your arms. You can also put it inside a spray bottle so it can be a lot easier to spray it over larger areas of your body.

My experience: I used to use rubbing alcohol a lot of times when I was in college, it truly did work for me and the best part about it from my perspective was the fact that it was a lot cheaper than most deodorants and I used it  for a lot longer. The downside to rubbing alcohol was the  lasting effect, it would only last for a couple hours(5-6), until I started to smell my B.O.. So it is good product but it just doesn't last too long. The kind I used was isopropyl (70%)

survey service

Apple Cider Vinegar:



Often proclaimed  as a panacea because of its ability to be used as digestive enzyme, bowel regulator, hair care, treatment of skin rashes, weight loss, treatment of  arthritis, lowering blood pressure, and finally to relieve body odor. Apple cider vinegar has a long track history of positive benefits, it can be used similarly to rubbing alcohol by putting the liquid on a cotton swab and applying it to your under arm. You're suppose to leave it on for only a couple of minutes(10-20), and then wash it off, but for better results you should apply it right before you go to bed and wash it off in the morning.


My experience: I've only tried it a couple of times in my life(and I also did it a long time ago), but from my experience it was pretty effective yet it was just annoying to do. What I mean by that is, the pungent sour odor of vinegar would be so aggravating to smell once I applied it under my arms right before I went to sleep. I hated to smell it when I was trying to go to sleep, and it made me feel like I smelled worse when I applied it on myself.  I believe that regular distilled vinegar can be used as well, but I don't know if it's less effective. I also don't know if organic is better than processed apple cider vinegar, so if you do try it you have to experiment a little. Other than that, if it doesn't work for your body odor you can use it for all its other benefits

web surveys


   Here's a video explaining the benefits of apple cider vinegar


Lemon/Lime:

Lemon/Lime is basically known for its detox capabilities, but little is known about lemon's ability to  be used as an antiseptic( prevent pathogenic bacteria) and how it counteracts purification. With that knowledge, it is easier to comprehend its use as a substitute for deodorant since the anti-bacterial properties found in a lemon/lime will neutralize any bacteria that will form under your arms. Just a cut lemon/lime in half, rub some of  the juices under each pit and you're good to go


My experience: I've been using this remedy just recently and was astonished about it's lasting effect. I was naturally assuming that it will only last me about a couple of hours, but surprisingly it last me throughout the whole entire day, I didn't even once smell a musty odor from my armpits(keep in mind, that my armpits sweat all the time!). The most I could smell from my self is  a faint lemony smell, but other than that I couldn't smell anything. Another thing I realized is that if you use lemon as your deodorant substitute, you can probably be able to use a half lemon for about four days straight till there wouldn't be enough juice to squeeze out as a deodorizer. As a result one  medium sized lemon can be used for about 8 days, so if you buy a bag of lemons which probably consists of 8-9 lemons. You can probably be able to use all these lemons as a deodorant for about 64-72 days! That's pretty amazing if you really think about it

survey solutions



Baking Soda:

Baking soda  has  pretty similar capabilities to that of a lemon in the fact that it has a very extreme alkaline ph which will be able to kill odor causing bacteria and create an alkaline environment that will prevent any other bacteria from forming . All you have to do is take a small amount of baking soda into your hand and rub it into your underarms.There is also another  technique where you can mix the baking soda with water to  make  a pasty like substance, slather the paste under your arms. Wait till it dries off, then remove the residue from your arms. But if you're anything like me, then you would want to do the quickest option possible

My experience: To me, this deodorant alternative is the best I've tried thus far. Mainly because  it is the cheapest product that you can buy and it lasts  a lot longer than most  other remedies. From my experience, it took a day and a half till the  baking soda started to wear off which is extraordinary since some deodorants can only last 12 hours long. The only draw backs that this remedy has is the fact that it can  leave white stains or marks in the armpit area of your shirts and  it sort of made my armpits smell a little bit salty. Other than  that it is a good product to use

survey solutions



Shea Butter:


Through researching the benefits of using shea butter, I've come to find out that shea butter is normally used for skin conditioning rather than the elimination of odor causing bacteria. From the many sources I've looked upon, shea butter is proclaimed to reduce scars, burn marks, age wrinkles, and stretch marks. Because of its properties of vitamin A. vitamin E,  and vitamin F(I didn't know there was such thing),  that moisturize  and heals the skin. But as far as a deodorant replacement goes, shea butter has been advertised to have antibacterial properties, which allows it  to heal wounds. So I'm assuming that it's antibacterial properties can stop the bacteria that festers under your arms which is causing the BO. And if so, that probably explains why some people find shea butter as a good deodorant alternative

My experience:
I've been using shea butter  for about three days now, and I have to admit that it's not working for me at all. During the first day I tried it, it was working pretty well and I could barely smell any funk coming from my armpits. But during the second and third trials, the shea butter started  to become less and less effective against my underarm odor. It was as if my underarms became immune to it's " anti-bacterial properties", and as a result I could smell my B.O once again. So with all that being said, I would suggest  to only use shea butter as its primary function which is to heal and moisturize your skin, there are a lot of better deodorant remedies than this product.


survey solutions


Cornstarch:

No comments: